What The Heck is Wrong with… Mission and Vision Statements?

Let’s face it; most company mission and vision statements are horrendously bad. They are wordsmithed to the max in long-drawn meetings where in the end everyone is so tired that they sign up to any old rubbish. I know, I have been in those meetings and I am sure many of you have, too! Most mission and vision statements I read are so generic that they provide no guidance whatsoever, or worse, confuse the hell out of people that before reading the statements were reasonably clear about the direction of the company.

How about this mission statement from Volvo for inspiration and guidance: “By creating value for our customers, we create value for our shareholders. We use our expertise to create transport-related products and services of superior quality, safety and environmental care for demanding customers in selected segments. We work with energy, passion and respect for the individual.” Do you feel in any way inspired now? Clear about what Volvo is trying to do? No, I didn’t think so. If you are a little like me then Volvo’s statement would have made you angry about wasting your time reading such cliché riddled drivel.

I can’t even tell you how bored I am of reading phrases like ‘most successful’, ‘world’s best’, ‘market-leading’, ‘best-in-class’, ‘best customer value’, ‘best customer experience’, ‘superiour this and that'. They mean nothing and simply put people off! Take this one from Dell Computers for a super-boring, nothing-saying vision: To be the most successful computer company in the world at delivering the best customer experience in markets we serve. However, the price for the most outrageous vision statement (going to the opposite extreme) has to go to Hilton for this one: "To fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality". It’s hard to believe that this one is for real. I do spend an awful lot of time in Hilton Hotels each year and I know that ‘filling the earth with light…’ is definitely a little far fetched when you get corporate hotel rooms that have the same sterile feeling all over the globe.

Anyway, in my job I help companies develop and execute strategies and I believe that intelligent companies use mission and vision statements as powerful sign-posts to provide clear and succinct directions about the purpose and aspirations of the company. I always make sue that these statements are ‘real’ and meaningful and not just boring platitudes iterated by successive executive teams. From what I see, mission and vision statements are often a muddled stew of goals, values, aspirations, philosophies, strategies and descriptions. So, before I share with you some of my favorite ‘good’ examples, let’s just be clear about the difference between a mission and a vision statement:

• A mission statement articulates the purpose of the company, basically why it exists, what it does and for whom. It should serve as an ongoing guide that spells out what the company is all about. The mission should focus on the here and now.
  • A vision statement outlines the goals and aspirations for the future. It creates a mental picture of a specific medium-term target and should be as a source of inspiration (but not quite to the extreme of Hilton!).

Here are some good mission statements that explain in clear and succinct words what the company does. By the way, I prefer to call it 'Purpose' rather than 'Mission':

• eBay: ”At eBay, our mission is to provide a global online marketplace where practically anyone can trade practically anything, enabling economic opportunity around the world.”
  • Google: "Organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."
  • Walt Disney: "We create happiness by providing the finest in entertainment 
for people of all ages, everywhere."
  • Amazon: "To build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online"
  • Innocent: "Make natural, delicious food and drink that helps people live well and die old"
  • The Motor Neurone Disease Association: "Our mission is to fund and promote research to bring about an end to MND. Until then we will do all that we can to enable everyone with MND to receive the best care, achieve the highest quality of life possible, and die with dignity. We will also do all that we can to support the families and carers of people with MND."

And here are some good vision statements that spell out the aspirations and ambitions of a company. The first two are older versions that successfully guided organizations to success and the other two are current ones. Also here I feel 'Aspiration' is better than 'Vision':

• Microsoft: "A computer on every desk and in every home"
  • Wal-Mart: "To become a $125 billion company by 2000"
  • Save the Children: "Our vision is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation."
  • "The Motor Neurone Disease Association has a vision of a World free of MND."

I find that a good way to start the process of creating vision and mission statements is by asking key people in the organization to answer these questions:

• For Mission (or Purpose): What is the core purpose of the organisation? What do we do and for who?
  • For Vision (or Ambition): Where do we want to be in 5 or 10 years time? What are our aspirations?

When I work with clients I take the answers to these questions and based on them draft something that is then discussed and finalized in an effectively facilitated meeting.

How do you feel about the state of corporate mission statements? Can you maybe share your favorites, either good or bad examples? Or do you disagree with me and feel (even well crafted) vision and mission statements are not needed or useful? Please share you views...

---------------------------------------

My other related posts:

And as always, feel free to connect via Twitter, LinkedIn or The Advanced Performance Institute

Jane L.

Data Protection Officer (DPO) | Project Manager | Organizational Designer | Intelligence Analyst | Product Manager

1y

Thank you VERY MUCH, this helped me a lot with my strategies attributes (and thank you Kitonik s.r.o.team for referencing this article)!

Vikrant Batra

I harness the transformative power of learning and development, and technology to empower organizations and individuals in shaping their futures and achieving their loftiest goals.

3y

Hello Bernard Marr, many thanks for this great article. I found the idea of time stamping a vision (5-10 years) quite interesting and have been noticing this in some companies' Vision Statements. It was interesting because a view exists that great visions are timeliness. However, I personally feel that both approaches are valid and the selection of one may be dependent on the nature of work an organisation does. Your thoughts?

Anja Blesl

Proven lean and change expert with focus in production and logistic I Visual Coach & Content Creator I Sketchnote & Graphic Facilitator

3y

Hello Bernard Marr, thx for your inspiring article. When I read this question "Where do we want to be in 5 or 10 years time?" I thought, if this time frame is in the meanwhile to long in the more and more VUCA markets. How do you see that now, 7 years after you published this article? Best regards from my side.

Rafael Vaz

Data Strategy | Analytical Intelligence | Data Engineering & Architecture | Data Valuation | Data Analytics | Data Science | Data, data, data...

3y

In a nutshell, storytelling is at the center of every well-written mission and vision statements. Tell a story, and tell a good one. Stay loyal to your story. Be great.

Bahram Taha

Operations Manager at Cafe Nesli

4y

Thanks for sharing such wonderful insights. 

To view or add a comment, sign in

Insights from the community

Others also viewed

Explore topics